Business Firms are heading toward the world of Online Marketing:
- Due to the growing number of internet users day by day
- With new platforms, websites and apps being released daily
- One industry that we all deal with every day, in one way or another, that’s going from strength to strength, it’s this digital industry
- Again the proof is in numbers – the future of business is in digital. Everyday life is now fueled by digital technologies, and businesses that have moved to cater to the digital consumer are among the most successful
Online Marketing & Ways to get into it?
Online marketing is not solely about the internet however; it is about, how the internet is used via the medium of any electronic device in order to market a business. This means that it is possible to digitally market a company through a desktop computer, mobile, TV, Tablet or a combination of many.
- Online marketing is an exciting sector for candidates looking for a creative and varied career that is constantly evolving
- As a digital marketer the world is your oyster – it won’t always be certain what the next step is until you get there as Digital is constantly evolving, but you can be sure that there will always be growth in this area!
- Start a blog, create a website or volunteer to do digital marketing for a local charity. When it comes time to interview, your prospective employers will likely Google you and review your social presence
- Digital marketing idea can be gained by reading digital marketing specific blogs, following specific # hashtags on Twitter, attending local marketing meet-ups or webinars, finding a mentor within the industry, and simply learning by doing
- If you are just out of school, you may have all the time in the world to complete a full-time course to obtain the knowledge you seek. However, if you are a busy professional, and time is stringent, you need to find a course that fits in with your schedule
- Passionate, knowledgeable, and innovative –three skills that is very essential in digital marketing
Need to Learn Online Marketing?
Look inside yourself – if you think you’d enjoy working on the cutting-edge of this Digital Business, then check out careers in Digital Marketing.
Digital media marketing is a course for min 3 to 6 months, as it comprises of both theory and live projects practical on all aspects of Digital Marketing i.e., Content, SEO, PPC, Email, Affiliate, Social Media & now Mobile Marketing. (
Live projects serve that purpose to help you know, how these things work in practice? If the course is all about theories, you may be deprived of such benefits. Therefore, the Digital Marketing course must have an ideal balance of theoretical and practical knowledge to provide optimum value with a justifiable duration. It’ll help put your intellectual property to good use.
And for same, it’s important to specialize early on either in SEO, PPC, Affiliate, Social Media or Analytics in individuality first, and then put your hands in learning others.
Why because? Having broad knowledge of digital marketing is helpful, but doesn’t necessarily lead to multiple job offers. Businesses are getting savvier and more detailed with job requirements and being digital generalist is no longer the ideal way to go. Multiple disciplines within digital marketing exist, and it’s a good idea to find a specialization early on. Mashable notes, “Once you have a base knowledge in each area of marketing, you’ll be better equipped to choose a more specific path of focus. Having a specialty enables you to hone your skills in that area and become an expert, which is a valuable asset to potential employees.”
Important to have a specialization: SEO | Google AdWords PPC | Digital Marketing
Choosing a career is a complicated process that is based on a number of things including your interests, skills, work-related values, and personality. Also to add a quote: “It takes only a minute to learn, but a lifetime to master” could just as easily be applied to Online Marketing.
- An inquisitive and curious approach to things. Students should observe every day trends consider the wider business implications and then think – how we can use that info for our campaigns.
- An entrepreneurial style – always looking at how the next new thing can help to get our message out there.
- Multi-tasker – there’s always a million things going on in digital so wanting to work on single projects would not be compatible.
- Good with numbers – analytics is key for digital.
- Focused on the consumer – we don’t want technology for technologies sake, we want to make life easier for the customer.
- Avid consumer of digital – a blogger, website builder, tweeter etc. They should be living and breathing this information on a daily basis.
Search Engine Optimization
If search engines can be considered to be online marketplaces of infinite scope, then SEO strategists are the promoters that are finding new and innovative ways to attract your attention while browsing this marketplace. You need to stay in touch constantly with:
- New search engine developments and algorithm changes
- Webinars and new techniques
- Learning from your own experiences
On top of that you have to work with various teams or individuals:
- Managements – Trying to get reporting results
- Web Developers – Training them and supplying them with requirements
- Project Managers – Trying to squeeze in your requirements amongst the other 50 resource intensive requests outside of SEO
- Writers & Content Managers – Training, tweaking and improving the site’s content
- Social media specialists– Squeezing as much link juice out of their outward facing efforts
You’ve also got to be very analytical:
- Performing website audits
- Analyzing web metrics, log files and configuration files
- Pouring over code to make sure it follows best practices
- Drafting requirements and proposals
- Performing keyword research
Google AdWords PPC
As a PPC analyst 80% of your world is data. You’ll likely be working with Excel sheets, using it to create your PPC campaigns or exporting data for analysis. Excel will be your #1 tool.
PPC is particularly good for split testing as it allows your strategies to fail much faster, saving you time and money in the long run. While it seems like strange advice, knowing what terms not to go for can be more important in some ways than figuring out which search terms are best, as creating content is expensive and time consuming. If you don’t have it right, you will waste a lot of time and resources.
Who will be successful at PPC AdWords?
- You’ve got to like numbers and be able to analyze them and make recommendations based findings.
- You have to be able to write compelling ad copy with strong calls to action.
- You will also likely be responsible for the optimization of landing pages and checkout processes. So an eye for improving conversions and usability will benefit you.
- PPC is a numbers game, so you have to be relentless at squeezing as much revenue and cost savings out of your campaigns.
If you’re the type of person that likes relatively instantaneous results with successes that can be directly tied to your efforts, then PPC might just be right for you.
Coming to PPC AdWords advertising, there are 2 reasons for business not using: They have already tried it, lost money, and given up on it or they have considered trying it, think they will lose money, and have decided against it.
At the end…
Traffic is the lifeblood of any online undertaking. The success of an online business greatly depends on the amount of traffic it can generate for it’s website pages. This is an indubitable fact. So choosing the right minds who can execute well with a real good mix of SEO, PPC, Social Media is very important.